A Leicester landlord has been fined because flats that he converted without planning permission have been found to have serious safety concerns.

A report from fire safety officers, heard in Leicester Magistrates Court, stated that the property posed an imminent risk of serious harm to any occupants due to the inadequate fire escape.

The landlord was fined £4,250 at the court after being convicted of four offences under the Housing Act.

During an inspection it showed that three live exposed electrical conductors were found in one flat, two at reachable height. The landlord was unable to state which electricity supply fed the lights in communal areas and the boiler as it was provided on three separate pre-pay meters.

As a result occupants were in danger of the communal lighting and boiler running out of power. This could have left the building without sufficient power in any emergency lighting required to get occupants out safely.

Councillor Iain Hewson said; “This ruling once again highlights our message to landlords that we will not tolerate poor living conditions in the district.

“As the owner of a hotel Mr Phull [landlord] should be fully aware of fire safety, particularly in the wake of terrible tragedies such as the Grenfell Tower incident.

“We urge anyone living in rented accommodation that thinks may not comply with the law to contact us so we can investigate.”

Exposed electrical conductors should never be accessible without a tool and never accessed by anyone apart from skilled competent tradesmen. Fixed wire testing is a service that provides a report on the condition of all the fixed wiring and accessories in your home and can be an excellent tool for landlords to plan any required electrical maintenance.


0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *